Effects of heat:
- Increased vascularity (hyperemia): There is an increased blood flow.
- Decreased blood pressure due to vasodilation.
- Increased defenses throughout the body.
- Decreased inflammation in subacute and chronic inflammations.
- Analgesic effect, since it breaks the vicious circle of pain → contracture → pain.
- Increased respiratory rate (tachypnea).
- It also acts on the digestive system as a laxative, since it increases peristalsis.
- Fluidizes mucus.
Effects of cold:
-Vasoconstriction (reduction of the caliber of the blood vessels).
-Analgesia (there is anesthesia in the area due to the decrease in temperature).
-Reduction of pain.
-Temporary reduction of spasticity.